The Dispersal Sale of the Springsett Limousin herd of Dougie McBeath and Sarah Jane Jessop, Lower Greenyards Farm, Bannockburn, Stirling, saw a top price of 11,000gns paid for the herd’s stock bull Hafodlas Garnedd. Preceding the British Limousin Cattle Society’s May Sale, the Springsett Dispersal sale was held on the evening of Friday May 2nd at Carlisle’s Borderway Mart.
Described as ‘a real meat machine’, Hafodlas Garnedd was originally purchased from the breeder AH&GW Roberts, Hafodlas, Llaty Nest, Brithdir, Dolgellau, Gwynedd. A son of the multi title winning Hafodlas Domino, the 2011 born bull is out of the Cloughhead Royal daughter Hafodlas Violed. Paying the top price for their Furrydance pedigree herd was CR, IE & AM White, Pengwedna, Nancegollan, Helston, Cornwall.
‘Quality over quantity’ was the phrase in the catalogue foreword and that was borne out by the depth of bloodlines and breeding on offer. Making 9000gns, was the rising five-year-old Springsett Empress. Sired by Newhouse Aristocrat, a Ronick Shapely son, this cow is out of Springsett Treasure and from the herd’s noted Springsett Moneypenny family. Sold in-calf to Hafodlas Garnedd, Springsett Empress was purchased by CJ Roots, Kilnford Croft, Dumfries.
Craig Malone, Pitcairn Farm, Cardenden, Fife paid 8000gns for the January 2010 born Springsett Faith. This second calver, with her Hafodlas Garnedd sired heifer calf at foot Springsett Joules, is by the 9000gns stock bull Culnagechan Condor and is out of the Ronick Luke sired Springsett Regency. Regency’s breeding again goes back to the noted Egee cow.
Another Culnagechan Condor daughter, Springsett Galaxy, sold for 5500gns to the Lochend herd of Andrew Morthon, Lochend Farm, Denny, Stirlingshire. Scanned in calf to Hafodlas Garnedd this March 2011 born heifer is out of the Ronick One daughter Blairpark Utopia.
From the other female consignments on offer the top price was the 4000gns paid for Redpaths Gerty from Redpath Farms, Kelso, Roxburghshire. A first calver, Redpaths Gerty was sired with her February 2014 born heifer calf, Redpaths Jilly, at foot. May 2011 born, Redpaths Gerty is by the Irish bred bull Lennon Breezer and is out of Redpaths Cupi, a Mynach Trey daughter.
Purchasing Redpaths Gerty was A Peart & Son, Woodcroft Farm, Bishop Auckland, Co Durham.
12 cows served and/or suckling £3521.80
3 served heifers £3113
2 maiden heifers £1417.50
1 stock bull £11,550
- Lot 27 11,000gns CR, IE, AM White, Pengwedna Barton, Nancegollan, Helston, Cornwall.
- Lot 13 9,000gns CJ Roots, Kilnford Croft, Dumfries.
- Lot 15 8,000gns C Malone, Pitcairn Farm, Cardenden, Fife.
- Lot 19 5,500gns A Morton, Lochend Farm, Denny, Stirlingshire.
- Lot 17 3,200gns RW Cameron & Son, Wester Bonhard Farm, Perth.
- Lot 18 3,000gns Laga Farms Ltd, Arwick, Evie, Orkney.
- Lot 7 2,800gns E & K Bland, Cotegill, Gaisgill, Penrith, Cumbria.
- Lot 5 2,400gns WJ & M Mash Ltd, Torrington Farm, Grove Lane, Chesham, Bucks.
- Lot 6 2,100gns CJ Roots, Kilncroft, Dumfries.
- Lot 9 2,000gns WJ & M Mash Ltd, Torrington Farm, Grove Lane, Chesham, Bucks.
- Lot 10 2,000gns WJ & M Mash Ltd, Torrington Farm, Grove Lane, Chesham, Bucks.
Other Collective Females
- Lot 39 4,000gns A Peart & Son, Woodcroft Farm, Frosterley, Bishop Auckland, Co.Durham.
- Lot 37 2,100gns A Peart & Son, Woodcroft Farm, Frosterley, Bishop Auckland, Co.Durham.
- Lot 38 2,000gns A Peart & Son, Woodcroft Farm, Frosterley, Bishop Auckland, Co.Durham.